Friday, March 13, 2009

Paul Williams Willing To Return To Welter

By Mark Vester - BoxingScene.com

WBO interim-junior middleweight champion Paul Williams has fought above the welterweight limit for nearly a year. After knocking out Carlos Quintana last June at 147, he jump two weight classes in September to stop Andy Kolle at the middleweight limit of 160-pounds. Two months later he went down to 154 and stopped Verno Phillips for the interim title. On April 11 at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas, Williams jumps back to 160 to face Winky Wright.

If Williams beats Wright in April, there are many who don't see him returning to the welterweight division. Williams, speaking with BoxingScene.com's Luis Sandoval, says that he is willing to drop back to 147 for the right fight. He would love to get in the ring with Shane Mosley, Joshua Clottey or Miguel Cotto.

"Basically I'm in every weight class [but] nothing under 147. If I can get a big fight at 147, I would definitley come back to 147," Williams said.

Experts are split on whether or not Williams can beat the bigger and more experienced Wright. Williams plans to make a statement in April by not allowing Wright to get off and keeping at a high level for all twelve rounds.

"Every time I get in the ring I want to make a statement. My fans know that every time I get in the ring I'm coming to fight. It don't matter who the guy is or what the guy has been doing, or how big the guy is or how bad the guy is. I want to prove that I'm the best and to prove that you're the best - you have to get in there and beat the best. That's how I look at it," Williams said.

"Winky has been doing some good stuff and all that. I respect the man for what he's done in his career but now its my time. If I keep punching I'll keep him in his shell. I won't let him get off. I'm going to come out with a win but it's going to be something very exciting for them to see."

No comments:

Post a Comment